Located in eastern Jefferson County along LaGrange Rd., Anchorage is a serene, park-like residential community including a school, churches, and a few businesses & local restaurants located in the wooded hills and valleys adjoining branches of Beargrass and Goose Creeks.
The nautical name of the retirement home of riverboat captain James W. Goslee was adopted when the town was incorporated in 1878. Tradition has it that the anchor that hangs inside the rim of a locomotive wheel in the center of town is the one that Captain Goslee removed from his ship, the Matamora, and put on his lawn at "The Anchorage" in 1869. It is a monument to the river and the railroad and those who shaped the town's growth.
In order to preserve the rural character of the town, an Anchorage Historic District was created, with listing on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. The town became a fifth-class city in 1966 and moved to a fourth-class city in 1984. The current population of Anchorage is almost 3,000.